Posted by on Sep 9, 2015 in Community Service & Service Learning, Mission & Ministry News, Spiritual Life | 0 comments

Kate Campbell ’16 took a moment to reflect on her experience in the Four Year Service Program and how it is preparing her for her future career.

As an incoming first year student in 2012, I was motivated to be involved on campus in as many ways as possible. In particular, I strived to find clubs and programs that involved meaningful service. At the first involvement fair, I stumbled upon Mission and Ministry’s table where I was introduced to the Four Year Service Program. I was intrigued by the sound of it because I knew that I would be able to do consistent service and had the possibility of volunteering at Mission Grammar School, where I had enjoyed my time participating in the New Student Day of Service only days before. With the dream of becoming a teacher, I jumped at the opportunity to get involved in a program that would combine my passions of service and education.

Over the past three years, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time spent at Mission Grammar. I visit once a week and have the opportunity to work with amazing scholars and support classroom teachers. The unique consistency of the service has allowed me to build relationships with the children and become a part of the school community. I have found it especially meaningful to be able to use the valuable knowledge from my education courses in helping Mission Grammar scholars learn and grow as individuals. In turn, my time there has shaped me as a person and teacher as well.

Mission Grammar

This extraordinary service is paired with monthly reflections and a retreat at the beginning of every semester. As a group, we reflect on our service and discuss anecdotes, frustrations, goals, and the presence of God in our service. It is wonderful to be able to hear about everyone else’s experiences with different community partners and be able to support one another. I am inspired and motivated by my peers when we gather and many have become life long friends.

I recommend participating in the Four Year Service Program to anyone interested in making a difference, being part of a dedicated group, and becoming part of the Boston community. The commitment may initially seem overwhelming, but weekly service becomes routine and manageable. The experience is exceptionally rewarding and I am grateful for everything that this program has given me.